"Ni untuk you (This is for you)", Syam said after handing over a little box. I looked at him cynically, and then shifting my sight to the box. A box of Khind's Mosquito Killer. He was giving me a mosquito killer? What was that supposed to mean? Was that some kind of a joke?
"Bukalah (Open it)!" he urged me.
Slowly, I opened the light-weighted box. Taking it far away from my face, I stretched my neck to peek inside. Better be safe than sorry. I definitely wouldn't think a jack-in-the-box hitting my face as hilarious.
But then, there it was...
Under the dim light of Syam's car, right in front of my unbelieving eyes, a cockatiel chick was sitting quietly and motionlessly inside the box. I shrieked out of joy. At that moment, the vulnerable creature was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen!
My new 'baby' is a cinnamon cockatiel. Even though the top of the head and the backside are bald, the wings are fully weaned. Unlike other cinnamons I've seen, this one's colour is very much darker... and thus, more gorgeous!

Photo: Regardless of the baldness and clumsiness, I still think a cockatiel chick is adorable and cute!
Indeed, it was a pleasant surprise. You see... the initial plan was for Syam and I to meet David, a bird breeder who specializes only in cockatiels, the next day. An appointment was already made about a week in advance. Although I was a little disappointed of not getting to see his farm, I certainly wouldn't complain getting the precious little thing a day earlier than I thought.
"Is this David?" I asked the other person on the line just to make sure, when his number was dialled. "Hey, I've already got the bird! I like it so much!!"
"I'm glad you liked it!" he replied gleefully.
From the brief conversation, I learnt that the baby is approximately two months old. I also asked him how and what to feed the little birdie. That night, I came home smiling all the way.
And I've decided to call HER (hopefully, this time I'm right!) Caramel.

Photo: Staying calmly on my pareo. Baby Caramel's human mother makes a pledge to herself to take care of her with unconditional love from Friday, 28th of July onwards...

0 ANGEL WINGS:
Post a Comment